Proof of Residency

Arizona Flag
Arizona State Requirements

In November 2006, Arizona voters passed Proposition 300, which requires Northland Pioneer College to verify the U.S. residency status of all students. Students who cannot prove legal U.S. residency must be charged out-of-state tuition and may be denied access to scholarships or programs utilizing state monies. A.R.S. § 15-1802

NPC must verify each student's U.S. residency status at time of registration. Students will be asked to complete a U.S. Residency Form that defines their U.S. residency status and also provide documentation verifying that status. Students should be prepared to present an acceptable form of documentation (see list below) at time of registration.

If you are registering online or do not live in the NPC service area, and need to comply with Proposition 300, you may:

  • Scan and email copies.

  • Fax form & documentation to (928) 524-7461.

  • Hand-deliver to any NPC campus or center.

  • Mail to:

Northland Pioneer College
Records & Registration Office
P.O. Box 610
Holbrook AZ 86025-0610

You must include your name and phone number where you can be contacted in case your documentation is not legible.


United States residency verification should be completed
at the time of registration.


If you cannot provide acceptable documentation prior to the last day of the semester of which you registered, out-of-state tuition will be charged and a registration and business department HOLD may be placed on your account.


    Teacher In-state Tuition Eligibility

    If you are an employee of a school district in this state, Arizona, and are under contract to teach on a full-time basis or are employed as a full-time noncertified classroom aide at a school within that school district, you qualify for the in-state tuition rate. You are eligible for classification as an in-state student only for courses necessary to complete the requirements for certification by the state board of education to teach in a school district in this state. This law applies only to the teacher/ classroom aide and not to members of their family. Click here to read the full text of this law, A.R.S. 15-1802.B.3.


    Acceptable Verification Documents

    The following is a list of acceptable documents for proving a student's United States citizenship or legal resident status for purposes of determining eligibility for in-state tuition. Documents may be faxed, mailed, emailed or submitted in person. Final residency decisions for tuition purposes will be made in accordance with A.R.S. §15-1801 et. seq., as well as the policies and regulations of the Navajo County Community College District. See definitions.

    Acceptable Documentation for U.S. Residency Status Verification
    Students must provide ONE of the following: 
    Current valid Arizona Motor Vehicle Department Driver License, Instruction Permit, ID Card issued October 1, 1996 or later.
    Drivers License issued in another state, territory or possession of the U.S. except per Arizona law for the following states that do NOT verify lawful presence in the U.S.: Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oregon, Texas, Utah and Washington.
    Confirmation of citizenship through the federal Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) process.
    BIA or tribal ID card, certificate of birth, or certificate of Indian blood.
    A letter on company letterhead (if available) from the student's employer indicating that the student has undergone the I-9 employment process and the student's US residency status. The letter must be signed by the individual verifying the student's US residency status.
    Birth Certificate showing birth in the United States, which includes Puerto Rico (on or after January 13, 1941), Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands (on or after January 17, 1917), American Samoa, Swains Island, or the Northern Mariana Islands, unless the person was born to foreign diplomats residing in the US.
    US military form DD-214
    US military ID card
    Certificate of Naturalization (N-550 or N-570) issued by USCIS through a federal or state court or through administrative naturalization after December 1990.
    Certificate of Citizenship (N-560 or N-561) issued by USCIS.
    Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Form FS-240) issued by State Department.
    Certificate of Birth Issued by a Foreign Service Post (FS-545) issued by State Department.
    Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350) issued by State Department.
    United States Passport, current or expired (unless stamped Non-citizen National).
    Permanent Resident Card (Form I-151 since 1997).
    Resident Alien Card (Form I-551 before 1997).
    Alien Registration Receipt Card (I-151 issued prior to June 1978).
    Arrival/Departure Record (CP Form I-94 or I-94A) with endorsement Processed for I-551 if expiration date
    has not passed.
    Refugee Travel Document (Form I-571 since 2003).
    I-94 or I-94A with stamp showing admission under Section 207 (refugees) or Section 208 (Asylee) of the Immigration Nationality Act (INA).
    Current Employment Authorization Document (Form I-688B or I-766).
    Current Non-immigrant Visa.
    Current Arrival/Departure Record (Form I-94) or CBP I-94A for Mexico and Canada.
    Current Border Crosser Card (Form DSP-150).

      Note: Although some documents may instruct the holder not to photocopy them, the USCIS has advised the Department of Education that these documents and others may be photocopied if done for lawful purposes such as documenting citizenship for the purpose of determining eligibility.


      If you have any questions about the Proposition 300 verification process,
      please contact Records and Registration Office at (800) 266-7845, ext 7459.